Adhikara is a sanskrit word that translates to mean studentship. What does it mean to practice adhikara? At Breathe Yoga Center we encourage studentship by asking you to honor your individual practice and respect the shared space of the studio. Breathe requests all students follow the guidelines and policies provided below:
- Plan to arrive at least five minutes before the scheduled class time to check in, store your belongings and settle in on your mat. Class begins at the scheduled time. The studio door is locked at the beginning of practice and remains locked throughout the class for your security.
- Check in with the staff person at the reception desk upon arrival, even if you registered online.
- Please do not wear shoes onto the practice floor.
- Wear comfortable clothes that are neither restrictive nor baggy. Please practice in bare feet.
- Refrain from wearing perfumes, colognes or other strongly scented fragrances.
- Practice on an empty stomach. It is best not to eat two hours prior to practice.
- We have nice, comfy eco-friendly mats available for purchase or rental. We recommend owning a mat to personalize your practice, plus it’s much more hygienic.
- Bring a hand towel if you are prone to sweating as slippery yoga poses make for a frustrating experience. Use your towel to wipe up any excess sweat surrounding your mat. Please do not use a studio blanket for these purposes. We sell ultra-absorbant hand towels made for yoga practice.
- Please leave all of your belongings outside of the practice space. You may store your belongings inside the cubbies in the lounge, which is locked during class. Anything you do not feel comfortable leaving outside the practice space should not be brought with you to the studio.
- A signed release form is required of all students who practice in the studio. If you have not signed a release form, please obtain a copy at the reception desk.
- If you are pregnant, have serious health conditions or injuries, or have had any health changes, please alert the instructor before class.
- Turn off all mobile phones, pagers, and PDAs. Better still, leave them at home.
- No food or beverage is permitted in the practice space, except for sealed bottled water.
- Do not step on other students’ yoga mats.
- Listen to your body; pushing yourself into pain is not part of any yoga practice.
- Plan to stay the entire length of the class, including the final pose, savasana.
- If you use one of the studio’s rental mats, please use the mat cleaning spray and towel to clean the mat after use and before you roll it up and put it away.
- After class, fold blankets back to the form in which you received them. Return all props in a neat, orderly manner to the prop shelves.
If you have extenuating circumstances that are in conflict with any of our policies please talk with us about it.